Join us for an in-depth hands-on study of winter cuisine with the head chef of Jungle Cafe, Agata Dean. Learn how to make healthy, fulfilling, easy to digest, plant-based food that keeps the body and spirit in good condition. In this class we will learn about the benefits of a seasonal diet and the autumn/winter needs of the body. Additionally the class will draw from seasonal cooking, macrobiotics, five element nutrition and the balance of yin and yang (the main principals of Traditional Chinese Medicine philosophy).
Participants will learn to:
· Prepare your body for winter
· Use diet to help prevent and treat colds
· Cook quick, simple, tasty, plant-based meals
· Spend less time in the kitchen and prepare a satisfying amount of healthy food
· Prepare healthy snacks that last a few days
Dishes we will learn to prepare:
· Breakfast grains porridge from oatmeal or millet
· Simple miso soup
· Vegetable-bean stew
· Bread Spreads made of vegetables and legumes (and tasted with homemade bread)
Teacher Bio: Agata Dean
Agata Dean is the head chef of Jungle Cafe and a student of Maestro Manuel Rufino. Originally from Poland, she has dedicated her energies to establishing a healthful menu for the community vegetarian restaurant in Greenpoint, Brooklyn. Drawing on years of study in natural treatments and plant-based cooking, Agata brings a wealth of knowledge surrounding food, nutrition and natural medicine.